HISTORY OF TIRUCHANUR

23
history of tiruchanur

The celebrations of the Brahmotsavams led by Lord Brahma does not only belong to Lord Vishnu but it also belongs to Goddess Lakshmi. Though She is at the downhill of Tirumala for the welfare and benefit of Her devotees, the celebrations belong to the Goddess also. Traditionally the Brahmotsavams are being celebrated as per the installation of respective Gods or as per the birth star of the Gods.

Lord Sri Venkateswara Swamy is known as Kaliyuga prathyaksha Divam, Aapada mokkulavaadu, protect from difficulties and dearer to the devotees. On par with the Lord, Goddess Padmavathi Devi blesses her devotees with love and affection and is known as ‘Bhaktha Kalpavalli’, ‘Prema Swaroopini’. Every day thousands of Devotees seek blessings of Goddess Padmavathi Ammavaru the consort of Sri Venkateswara Swamy.

Tiruchanur in terms of sanctity and purity is a divya kshetram is in the district of Chittoor of Andhra Pradesh located five kilometers from Tirupati. As per the sthalapurana in olden days Sri Suka Maharshi lived in this place and called ‘Sri Sukanoor’. In Tamil this Sri Sukanur is called Tirugachanoor and later on became Tiruchanur. Tiruchanur is also known as Alimelu Mangapuram and Alimelu Mangapatnam.

According to Inscriptions

Tiruchanur is equally as important and famous as Tirumala and has a long history. As there were no facilities to reach Tirumala in olden days, Lord Venkateswara Swamy’s Brahmotsavams were performed in Tiruchanur as per the records of Tiruchanur. Only Dwajarohanam was performed in Tirumala and rest of the sevas in Tiruchanur. Sri Ramanujacharya changed this practice and started celebrating the Srivari Brahmotsavams in Tirumala. In olden days the Replica of Sri Venkateswara Swamy was installed in Tiruchanur Temple and pujas are being performed with a view to worship Sri Venkateswara Swamy for those devotees who could not reach Tirumala as per the inscription of 9th Century AD. The Temple of Sri Venkateswara Swamy in Tiruchanur is known as ‘Thiruvilankoil’ and the deity in the Temple is known as “Tiruvenkata Perumalnadigal” according to the Inscriptions.

So far more than 50 Inscriptions have been found in and around the Tiruchanur and these inscriptions reflects the history of Tiruchanur. According to the inscriptions Tiruchanur was centre for spiritual and religious activities. From the beginning of 9h Century A.D. a large number of Vaishnavaits came and settled in Tiruchanur. Though the Vaishnavaits known about the Tirumala temple in the 9h Century A.D. they could not reach Tirumala for lack of facilities and they used to worship the Lord at Tiruchanur. The Tiruchanur temple flourished till the end of the 9h Century A.D. In the end of 9th Century A.D. Tondamandalam came under the control of Cholas. Tirumala and Tiruchanur were under the part of Tondamandalam. The Cholas favored Saivism. With the influence of Cholas the powerful Vaishnava place of Tiruchanur turned into Saivism.

About Daily Sevas at Padmavathi Temple

More About Goddess Padmavati Devi

About Vahanams Of Goddess Padmavati Devi

During Chola and Yadava Dynasitles

To the west of Tiruchanur (the present Yogi Mallavaram) the Cholas built a Sivalayam i.e. the present Sri Parasareswara Swamy Temple. The Cholas power came to an end in the middle of 13th Century A.D. when JataVarma Sundera Pandya occupied Tondamandalam. Later the Yadava dynasty came to power and controlled the place of Tiruchanur. During their period they built Sri Krishna Swamy Temple in Tiruchanur.

During Vijayanagar Period

Vijąyanagara kingdom was founded in the year 1336 A.D. and soon Tiruchanur came under their rule. During the Vijayanagara Rule the temples of Tirumala and Tiruchanur reached the glory and became famous attractions. The Vijayanagara Kings constructed Sri Padmavathi Devi Temple Mukhamandapam. Afterwards the power came to the hands of Britishers. The Britishers handed over the temple administration of Tirumala to the Hathiramji Mutt. The Head of the Hathiramji Mutt took the charge on 16 July 1843 and the Mutt heads continued the administration till 1933. During their period they developed Tiruchanur temple. At present the Tiruchanur is under the administrative control of Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams. The T.T.D. is doing a great job and providing all facilities to the devotees of Tiruchanur including free Meals.

Annamaiah Keerthanas on Ammavaru

Sri Tallapaka Annamaiah a saintly singer, composer, writer wrote the first Satakam praising Goddess Sri Padmavathi Devi as…

CHOCHITI TALLEEI NEE MARUGU
SOMPUGA NEE KARUNAAKATAAKSHA ME
TLABBEDOO NEEKU NEDU PARA
MESWAREE! YO YALUMELUMANGAA…..

Sri Tallapaka Annamaiah wrote many songs on Goddess Padmavathi Devi like –

ALARU KURIYAGA NAADANADE
ALUKULA GULUKULA NALEMELUMANGA….
PARAMAATMUDAIN HARIPATTAPURAANIVI NEEVU
DHARAMAMU VICHAARINCHA TAGU NEEKU AMMA….
PAALAJALADHI KANYAVU PADMAASANIVI NEEVU
PAALAPANDE SRI VENKATAPATEE DEVIVI….

 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.