Lord Venkateswara, an incarnation of Maha Vishnu is the supreme deity of Kaliyuga and an ardent supporter of his devotees. It is believed that He came down to Earth from Vaikunta to save mankind from trails and troubles.
Lord Sri Venkateswara, also known as Srinivasa, Balaji, and Veṅkaṭachalapati, made Tirumala his abode 5 thousand years ago. Even before him, it was Lord Varahaswami who had made Tirumala his abode. There are many more legends about the Venkatachala Hill and Lord Ven kateswara in the Varaha and Bhavishyottara Puranas.
In 1843 the administration of the shrine and its estates was formally handed over to Sri Deva Dossiji of Hatiramji Mutt at Tirupati. Subsequently, in 1932 the management of the Temple was handed over to when Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams (TTD), a non-profit organisation that was established to protect this important religious heritage. The TTD runs various charitable trusts with the proceeds from the pilgrims.
The main temple spans about 2.2 acres in area. Stretching 415 feet in length and 263 feet in width. Devotees pass through the Maha Dwaram/ padivaakili is 50 feet tall, outer gopuram or tower entering an open courtyard marked by ornate flag staff called the Dhvajasthambham. As they walk, to their left is the Ranganayaka Mandapam. To the right is the Aina Mahal, a hall of mirrors that reflects images in an infinite series. Devotees pass through Vendi Vakili, a silver entrance into the main sanctum where they come upon the Bangaru Vakili or Golden entrance. Within the Bangaru Vakili is a threshold beyond which most pilgrims cannot go. Here, a series of dark halls leads the way to the inner sanctum. Each chamber narrowing in width. Many believe this narrowing symbolizes the soul’s journey into the womb of the divine. Which is why, perhaps the innermost sanctum where the main deity resides is referred to in Sanskrit as Garbha Griha or womb-like chamber.